Go to main navigation
1650 Market Street, Suite 3600, Philadelphia, PA 19103
You may only get one call, make it count!
24hr. availability
Video conferences available
215-563-7100 866-842-2573 215-563-7100 866-842-2573

Taking Steps to Avoid Probation Violations in Pennsylvania

community service help

A common misconception about violating probation in Pennsylvania is that a judge is required to award you credit for time served. This is untrue. When you violate probation, a judge has the authority to restart the probationary period from day one or, alternatively, to reinstitute the sentence that had been set aside in favor of probation. Your Philadelphia probation violation attorney may be your ultimate advocate when you face fines, a prison term and subsidiary consequences associated with a misdemeanor or felony criminal conviction after violating probation.

If you are going to violate probation, you need to contact your Philadelphia probation violation lawyers immediately. A knowledgeable lawyer may be able to put you in contact with the appropriate federal agency, resource or facility that can help you to comply with the terms of your probation, such as:

  • Obtaining gainful employment
  • Participating in a diversionary rehabilitation program
  • Checking in with a probation officer
  • Obtaining your GED
  • Completing a certain number of hours of community service
  • Submitting to drug or alcohol exams

You may be unaware of the halfway houses, diversionary programs or outpatient treatment facilities that can help overcome the obstacles that stand in the way of continued probation.

Violating the terms of your probation in Pennsylvania can have serious consequences. Your probation officer is required to notify a public prosecutor and submit a written petition for revocation of probation and a sentence reinstatement. A hearing is then held and a judge decides whether the request is meritorious. A judge can require the criminal defendant to pay fines and serve out a prison sentence. When you are aware that you may violate your probationary sentence, notify your probation officer immediately. If charges are filed, you will need to defend yourself in court.

For more information about parole or probation violations in Pennsylvania, contact the Law Offices of David Jay Glassman in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.